Respect, Responsibility, Attitude: Keys to Success
This article was originally published on October 3, 2013. We are sharing it with our new readers in hopes that it may inspire new thoughts and conversations with your family
Respect, Responsibility, and Attitude are Some of the Important Keys to Success in School, Work and Life.
I am often asked to mentor the children of friends and family members (ranging from teens, to college and grad students), and to explain to them how to succeed in life and achieve success while maintaining balance. I explain that one of the key ways to succeed, whether in school, work, or life, is to develop the right attributes and values.
Things like respect, a sense of responsibility, and a can-do, positive attitude will go a long way in any environment. When you display these characteristics, you are someone that others want to be around and emulate, and it will be easier to achieve success.
Your Attitude and Effort Help Determine Your Success
The actual advice that I give each person may be different, depending on the individual’s goals and attitude. However, there are a number of tips that I give to most of the people whom I mentor. One of the top tips is for them to try as hard as they can to get the job done, with a smile and a can-do attitude. This is very important in terms of achieving success. Further, they need to be extremely service-oriented. Try as hard as you reasonably can to make every effort to accommodate your boss or client whenever this is possible and appropriate.
Take Responsibility for Your Actions and Mistakes
Another top tip is for people to take responsibility… responsibility for their actions, as well as for their mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, and when you do, honesty is important even if there are easier routes that you could take. If you are given more responsibility, do your task to the best of your ability and take pride in doing your job. This is true in school as well as the workforce, and it does not matter how small or minor the task that you are given seems.
Saying no is necessary at times, but this should never be your first response. If you want responsibility in your career then you need to be someone that others can depend on, and that means examining all of the possibilities and seeing how you can get the job done correctly, speedily and with a big smile.
Always Give Respect in Order to Earn Respect
Respect is something that needs to be earned, and being respectful in school and the workplace will help you achieve greater success. Whether you are dealing with a teacher, a boss or a client, you will earn respect by taking your responsibility seriously and putting in the effort needed to do the best job possible.
Some of the most important qualities and characteristics of successful people include the following:
- Put your best foot forward in every situation.
- Always be friendly but respectful.
- Accommodate your boss or client whenever reasonably possible, as long as your values and principles are not compromised as a result.
- Maintain a positive attitude and can-do approach to every request or problem.
- Use every opportunity as a chance to shine, learn and grow.
- Produce the best product possible, even if this means more time and effort is required.
Questions to Consider
- Are you always on time and well prepared for school or work? Why or why not?
- Do you take responsibility when you make a mistake or stay silent? What if someone else is being blamed for something that you did?
- What can you do to create a more positive attitude?
- When a problem occurs do you view it as a challenge or a setback? Why?