Make Your Thanksgiving Meaningful
Thanksgiving is a great opportunity for families to take the time to reflect on the things we have – not the material goods – but the love of family, the opportunities we enjoy, and the comfort of home. The Thanksgiving holiday and the upcoming holiday season, should also be one in which charity is in the front of our minds. Among the tasks we have as parents is to raise our children to be mindful of what they have, to be cognizant of what others do not, and to figure out ways to help others.
Below we share some our our most popular articles from the past year. While some of them represent tough subjects to tackle, as a way to respond with positivity to so much difficult material, we encourage all families to take advantage of the holiday season to not only discuss, but to give back. Enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner, and discuss important issues. While many will soon turn to Black Friday and Cyber Monday, we encourage you to think about opportunities to give. We humbly offer our suggestion of a charity you might consider below.
#GivingTuesday was created by the 92nd Street Y cultural center in New York City, in order to promote giving, social change, and the unity of our communities. They seek to bring together nonprofits, civic organizations, businesses and corporations, as well as families and individuals to foster a spirit of charity and affect change in our communities. Celebrate #GivingTuesday as a chance to make a contribution to the world we live in and show our children their potential to make a real difference. Use this article and the holiday of Thanksgiving as a first step towards spreading your family’s light into the world and making its mark.
Wishing you an enjoyable and meaningful Thanksgiving!
Thanksgiving Dinner Primer
In recognition of the Thanksgiving holiday and the fantastic opportunity it presents for multiple generations to share each others’ company and conversation, we have collected some of our most popular articles for you to share and enjoy as a family before, during or after your meal. These all relate to key topics from the world today and timeless values we should share with our children:
- The Mother of All Blessings and Experiences – An optimistic vision of parenting as a journey filled with experiences to learn from, grow with, and delight in.
- A Tale of Summer Jobs and Generosity – The kindness of people helping strangers find summer employment shows that there is goodness in all of us and provides an example to emulate.
- A Flat Tire Shows the Kindness of Strangers – A real life story from a recent trip, which shows the kindness of strangers and encourages us all to roll with the punches – as a family.
- The Power of Legacy – Lessons learned from sons speaking about their fathers. Important guidance on living life, as well as the impact we can have on others.
- Ivanka Trump on Family Values and Being Our Best Selves – Key points about what it means to parent well, and how we should always push ourselves to do and be better.
- 30 Years of Photos Remind Us of What Matters Most – Remembering the preciousness of family through a unique photo montage.
- Israel Saving Syrian Lives – An amazing story of generosity in the face of adversity, with historic enemies united by shared humanity.
- Couple Uses Wedding to Feed 4,000 Refugees – Looking at the refugee crisis through a lens of a bride and groom.
- Students Teach Their Principal a Lesson in Giving – Students raise money for an educator with cancer, and show that gratitude is an action, and that we are never too young to take it.